FLSA: Hourly, non-exempt
The KY3/KSPR newsroom in beautiful Springfield, MO is looking for a dynamic, energetic alert desk anchor in the mornings. The right employee will be part producer, part MMJ, part breaking news anchor. We need someone who can ad-lib very well throughout several hits during a four-hour morning newscast, get breaking news up quickly (including video, live cameras, supers and social media), and be able to use sources to confirm stories quickly.
Must bring enterprise, research-driven stories to the table daily when there is not breaking news. The best candidate will be able to maintain urgency when needed in the newscast and be organized off-air to help with the website, social media and OTT desk scheduling.
Primary job duties (include but are not limited to):
• Must have bachelor’s degree in journalism/communication or equivalent background
• Must be willing to train on the digital desk switcher and audio board and use daily
• Must have prior on-air experience in a newsroom, we prefer at least 2 years
• Prioritize, organize, and produce individual on-air hits newscasts following the station brand and goals
• Must have the ability to develop content through cameras, traffic websites, national feeds, affiliates and independent sources
• Responsible for writing clearly, concisely and very conversationally
• Must be able to clearly ad-lib during all on-air hits.
• Must be able to do several things at once – social media, website, on-air, produce your hit, and set up FB and OTT hits.
• Must maintain working knowledge of current events, community issues, and extensive list of local contacts
• Accurate video editing with an eye for visual elements and graphics that makes stories understandable to the viewer
• Responsible for developing original story ideas for daily newscasts
• Special emphasis on working with producers on story treatment, and be able to accurately gather information for news stories under pressure
• Able to accurately and calmly handle decision-making process, research social media posts and story ideas under heavy deadline pressure without compromising accuracy or credibility
• Must possess excellent communication and organizational abilities, including working with the news director and executive producer to ensure story accuracy, and to determine the best presentation of reports
• Must be able to shoot and edit yourself using our gear – daily.
• Must be able to use ENPS (or train to) for scripting, including graphics and supers.
• Responsible for creating a unique approach to all digital elements for the newscast, including Facebook page, Twitter, website
• Must be willing to work flexible hours, including evening, weekends, and holidays as needed
• Make regular beat checks
• Demonstrate good news judgment and journalistic integrity.
• Ability to maintain professional and ethical conduct at the station and in the community.
• Performs other incidental and related duties as assigned and attention to detail is required
• Ability to work with limited supervision
• Must have the desire to be at work during big breaking news, weather coverage and special event coverage
• Must be willing, during big breaking news events to be out in the field live
• Duties are performed mostly indoors in an office environment.
• Must be able to sit for extended periods of time
• While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to stand, walk, talk, hear, use hands and fingers, reach, grab, handle or feel, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl. Regularly sit, talk, and hear.
• Nights, overnights, weekends and holidays may be required.
• Must hold a valid driver’s license/ability to obtain a Missouri license and be insurable.
To Apply: You must have a video link to apply. Send your application, resume, and link to your latest resume video to:
999 W. Sunshine
Springfield, MO 65807
You can also email your application to us, or use the link below to apply online.
KY3/KSPR is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
All job offers are contingent upon passing a pre-employment drug screen and an acceptable driving record for driving positions.
This job description does not necessarily contain all of the actual or essential duties of this position.